Wednesday 2 October 2013

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED - ALWAYS

What does it take to lead a stress free life?
Two rules! There are two rules only to go from happy to happy to happy!

Rule No. 1: Always have plan B, C or D in place, especially when you become a parent or open up your own business!
Rule No.2: Always, always expect the worst case scenario!



Let me elaborate:
Let's take something as mundane as our monthly shopping trip to the States to fill up fridge and freezer. 
We Germans are allowed to enter the United States as long as we hold a valid visa waiver. This piece of paper costs us $ 6.00 and is valid for three months.



The document needs to be handed in prior to it's expiration date. If you are late or overdue, shit happens!
What is the worse thing that can happen to us? 

Our visitor rights can be revoked - either for a short or longer period of time (YEARS!!!!).

It happened to me once and literally, all hell broke loose. You do not mess with the border officers guarding the United States of America. They have been given super powers and authority! 
As a rule you don't smile, try to be friendly, charming, witty or engaging!



At the border crossing you need to be and do what you have been told! This has to be your plain, simple, easy to follow rule to entering the USA successfully.

Guess what I noticed on our way to the border this morning? Right, I was late again! Darn! For the second time in nearly two years I simply forgot to hand in my green waiver form.

Our worst case  scenario was simple; I handed Dominic my carefully crafted shopping list,  made sure I had my glasses, a pen and a book on me. We decided for Dom to proceed alone to visit Fred Meyers and Costco. I, on the other hand would stay at the Duty Free shop to keep myself busy for at least three hours.
I even planned for a suspension;  in my mind I said good - bye to trips to Hawaii or California in the near future. In other words, we prepared ourselves for the worst case.


We hand over our passports, the officer sends us inside to the office to get my new waiver form!
Once inside I receive a form, a pen, loud attitude from my own husband because for the fifth time in a row I am filling in my date of birth into the departure date- category (no wonder he gets upset, his wife doesn't get it. I on the other hand, want to know when they finally change the category?).
Two sets of finger prints, a visa payment and a new form in my passport later we are send back on the road.
Just like that! They gave us a smile (!!!), made a few - nice- comments and we were dismissed. Just-like-that!
Can you read I am still in shock?

  Have they been Canadianised?  Has some of the Canadian friendliness finally rubbed up on them?  Did Barack send them a letter of warning to behave towards the Germans, or did they all get lucky last night?

This is the advantage of the worst case scenario-rule: You are prepared for anything and everything!
And if you are,  there is always a pleasant surprise waiting for you!

 America, The Land of the Free, let's go shopping!

Do you agree or disagree with my theory??
Let's hear it!




No comments:

Post a Comment