Friday 23 August 2013

LOTS OF WHEELING AROUND VANCOUVER

Every city has their own Green Lung. What New Yorkers call Central Park, Vancouverites call Stanley Park:

Since we first took our boys here I promised myself to come back with my skates. You see, Stanley Park is surrounded by an 8,8km long promenade called the seawall.  It is just perfect for a quick spin around on your bike or skates.


Yesterday was the day to fulfil my promise.  I squeezed my rollers into my backpack, pumped up my bike tires and boarded the train heading west.


If you rely on the train to bring you downtown and back home, our choices here in Maple Ridge are limited. We have to out of here by 7.44 am. As this is a commuters train, we need to kill time in Vancouver; we need to kill 8 hours to be exact. Now, this is a lot of wheeling around!

Let me take you on a spin around the city:

1. Stop:                                          Welcome to Stanley Park:


Off we go,  here I am getting ready for the first lap around:
 


 A few shots of what it looks like when you are on the seawall:


 


This lake is called Lost Lagoon, at the entrance / end  of the park, depending from which side you are coming from:














.
The trip was so nice, I did it twice! The second time I went for speed - or not?


2. Stop: Cycling to English Bay, west of the Stanley Park:
 
 What do you think?  Pretty? Be honest!
Vancouver boast 11 beaches most of them looking like this. It is definitely a fantastic record for any city; and to have a beach like this is better than having none- true! Let me just say this, it is fabulous to cycle along these stretches of driftwood covered brown sandy spots, don't expect me to spend the day there. 


3. Stop: Crossing Granville Bridge to Granville Island:

Here I stopped in the middle of the bridge, looking left:
Here I am looking  to my right:
 
 

Granville Island, the spot nearly every tourist goes to - and a visitor from Maple Ridge. Please check out this link to have a look of what is going on there! All you need is plenty of spare cash to enjoy the festivities, theatres, restaurants and goodies at the market.

3. Stop Cycling to Kitsilano Beach:
Kitsilano has a serious size saltwater  swimming pool!  I looked at it and nearly cried; I didn't bring my swimsuit! 

 Here in Kitsilano I checked my watch and discovered my eight are nearly over - I needed to go back to catch the train!
Vancouver is definitely fun in the sun, on your bike and on your skates!


No comments:

Post a Comment