Monday 17 June 2013

WALKING down the AISLE...

...at the pharmacy department!

Welcome to my three day stunt as 'Welcome Hostess' to the pharmaceutical department of a massive supermarket chain!


This department has been currently refurbished; what once was the dental aisle is now the feminine hygiene section.
I thought it's quite clever from the management team to hire a hostess to help customers finding their way around.. No supermarket should send their customers on a wild goose chase to find nail clippers and finding arthritis cream instead. (If you want to know, the clippers can now be found on aisle 13, in the BEAUTY section).

Here is a highlight of 3x 7 blissful hours spent among shop happy, pill popping, vitamin crazy Canadians:

On day one, still unfamiliar with the exact product placements, I offered a cheerful "Do you need any help Sir", (bright smile included) to an Asian gentleman looking at yellow boxes. Only to discover he was looking at condoms! (My husband still wants to know WHAT kind of advice I can give HIM?)

I learnt about the different ways to lighten the load if you are clocked up ( i.e. constipated). To keep a straight face was the hardest thing  when I guided various ladies and gentlemen to their laxatives, suppositories or fibre drinks.

A fellow country man, Mario, found himself lost in the aisle, looking for dis solvable vitamin C tablets. We started talking - and  bitch'n about the price  ($ 4.99 vs 0.98 cents in good ol' Germany for double the size. Nothing like a good chat in German in the vitamin aisle in Canada.

Since when are there so many different kinds of adult diapers on the market? Not that I was ever really concerned about this product - it is very comforting to know they exist . And who knows, we all might end up on aisle 8!

The couple I sent to the First Aid aisle; they re - appeared after 25 minutes (I kid you not) Guess what they were looking for? Band aids! Plain simple, waterproof and - tight band aids. Needless to say, this prompted another fun filled conversation about finding the right product for the right price.

And so far the best must have been the 72 year old lady who asked me if she should buy long or short PJ bottoms (?). I told her to get the short ones. Then she started telling  about her impending divorce to her husband of 53 years. Now I know about it- her husband, the poor soul, doesn't - yet!

The pharmacy department -
 being the hostess beats watching TV anytime. Thank God, I can go back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment