Tuesday 30 April 2013

LEFT IN THE DARK - during power failure

Living on top of a hill has its advantages; we can't get flooded, in case of an earthquake nothing can crumble on top of us and - if so inclined - you can use the terrain to get,-and stay in shape. (It took me five months of solid commitment to run or cycle up our incline. Now I can do it with a smile on my face).

The downside of living high? Our Municipality decided we don't need streetlights or road markings. If you translate this into day to day living it means you will find yourself in a ditch if you get side tracked by deer, coyote or be(e)ar.

Furthermore, our power supplier wanted to save a few bucks and put our power lines above, instead of into the ground. Up here, this causes a problem during stormy weather.

Photo by C. Waschko

Can you see the lines?

We had one of these days yesterday: At 5.15pm some of the tree branches hit  a power line and just like this, time stood still!

Our boys were in shock when all of a sudden their juice was cut off during their minecraft game. When they realized it wasn't their mother and one of her tricks to get them outside, they came up with their own, fun alternatives:

C.Waschko

 Hockey fun during black-out!


photo C.Waschko

Minecraft guys C.Waschko

We had no idea when the power would be back on. Faced with either a one or 10 hour black-out, I wrecked my brain what to do with our half cooked dinner in the oven.

C.Waschko

The boys refused to eat raw chicken and planned our meal: "Let's have take-away."

The plan itself was a good one until I wanted to hop into the car: my four wheeler was parked inside our garage. Obviously, our switch didn't work. Could I have opened it manually? I don't know. We have something dangling from the garage ceiling, but I ain't pulling this one!

We had to wait for Dominic to arrive in his car. When I told my ever so clever husband about my cooking dilema, he only looked at me with raised eyebrows: "Why can't you cook dinner? We have a gas stove!" I told you, he is a clever one. Instead of Dominos Pizza it was pan fried chicken with macaroni for us.

Good Gracious me! By force of habit I filled up our garborator with our left overs, like I always do. Again, Dominic watched me: "What did you do this for?. How will you turn it on?" Once again, my beloved husband was right!

Fortunately I stopped myself  before I loaded up our dishwasher with dirty, greasy plates- Who needs a machine if you can do it yourself?


"Quickly boys, finish your homework before it gets too dark. Grab your candles on the way up." 

Candles for us!  C.Waschko

Instead of our usual evening noises (freezer, TV, music, fridge) we heard laughter and animated chatter. Honestly, I forgot how much our Korean son can talk. I wonder what he will tell me when he discovers I used his chopsticks to light the candles....

All in all, the evening progressed smoothly. The only downside of not being powered up? I missed special agent Jack Bauer. Yes, believe it or not, after months of watching "24" we are still on it.

Instead of dwelling on our missed evening entertainment I checked on the state of our ice cream in the freezer!  Why let a good thing melt away if I can eat it instead?  Sadly, vanilla ice cream is no real substitute for a man (aka, Jack Bauer) but for today it had to do the trick.

With my wonderful banana split in my bowl I starred into our pitch black, quiet neighbourhood - Oh Jack, I miss you so - and scooped myself a second helping!

10.05pm: When was the last time I went to bed this early? I have no idea when the power came back on; It was on when we woke up. But there is one thing I know for sure: magic happened during the black out:

Dominic decided to visit the Fountain of Youth during the night. In the morning he metamorphosed into a cute, soft skinned, blond haired, 10 year old school boy!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment