Sunday 9 February 2014

I don't Believe I've done this again - on my Birthday!

45 hours ago I celebrated my birthday.


It was yet another one "on the wrong side of 40" - to use the words of Jackie Collins- and yet another great day to look back on- and to look forward to new, great achievements!

To conduct this day in true Christina fashion I stick to a few self-made rules:
No self-congratulations on a social media site (why would I do that anyway?),
to have lots of fun and
to do something I have never done before!

As luck, fate or simple circumstances would have it, this years birthday was a day spent with me, myself and I ( the best company there is). My husband had left the country to go skiing in Europe (go figure) and our four boys had pre-arranged appointments til the evening or even the next day!!
Ah! Lovely, the sweet smell of birthday freedom!

For this years 'new experience' I chose a 90 minute Bikram yoga class!
And honestly, I had no idea what Bikram yoga is.
All I knew I had to bring a towel, my mat, plenty of water and spandex!
To my utter surprise it is HOT YOGA!!!

Exactly two years ago I sweat and stretched through my worse 90 minutes in my life in a tiny, hot, hot hot room full of hot (however not smelly) bodies, doing hot yoga!
I felt dizzy, sweaty, hot, uncomfortable, couldn't breath and stayed for the whole duration of the longest 90 minutes of my life (self torture in the highest fashion- and only because I don't like to call myself a quitter!).

There is a reason I love trail runs and skiing!
Right there and then I did the pinkie swear to never, ever do exercise in any kind of heated room ever again!

Surprise, surprise:
 Bikram Yoga is a series of 26 yoga stretches / exercises in a heated room!

Pinkie swear or not, I stayed!
Why?
Because I am quite stubborn!
I was fully committed to make Bikram yoga part of my 52 New Experiences for this year- regardless of what it is or what it does!

And how did I enjoy the experience this time around?
Yes, yes,yes:  I loved it! Truly and honestly I loved every sweaty,
hot minute of stretching and pretzeling!



This time around the room was a lot bigger with lots of natural light! We were only eight and the best was....
our male instructor!
 He entered the room fully clothed in his itsy - pitsy speedo swimming trunks (think Sean Connery as Agent 007 in his best beach attire).
 Or were these yoga pants?

My dear yoga loving reader, apologies for my ignorance! With my love for running I spend more time in the shoe department of a sports shop than in the yoga department.
Due to my love for outdoor activities this whole yoga trend has totally passed me by.
Who or what is LuLulemon again?

With my new experience under the belt, still hot and sweaty,
I took our middle son to the movies for an experience of the mind boggling, dizzy kind.
I went from hot'n sweaty to scared and freaked out!
We watched "Gravity" in full 3D fashion! We sat on the edge of our seat, absolutely fascinated by the amazing scenery!
And while we prayed for Dr. Stone to get rescued I made up my mind:

I ain't going into space - ever!
If there was ever a doubt in my mind that I would board Richard Benson's
Virgin Galactic, now I know: Nope, you can have my ticket. I ain't going up there.
Even if Richard would offer the attractive two for one deal- I ain't going!

Watching planet earth from a space shuttle or doing
26 yoga exercises in a heated room without a view?
Let me stretch and bend in the heat-
 as long as the class is instructed by a bare chested man dressed in speedos!









2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear more about your 52 new experiences for 2014 Christina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Harmony! Stay tuned and I will let you know!

      Delete