Thursday 19 September 2013

THIS BOY IS DIFFERENT

His alarm blasted me out of bed this morning.
 "Shit, I overslept! Darn, I forgot to turn my alarm clock on last night!"

Quickly I jumped out of bed. Waking up only 30 minutes later than usual disrupts my whole, well rehearsed early morning flow.
As soon as I opened our bedroom door I was blinded by our mega watt light bulbs in the hallway!

  Blinded by too many bright lights I stumbled down our wide stairs.

Down in our kitchen I saw him, our fourth son Gangyu (our Japanese exchange student):  His upper half hidden in the pantry, searching for his perfect breakfast cereal, a pan with scrambled eggs already on the stove.
My hastily spoken  "Good morning" remained unanswered.

 On my way to the coffee maker I opened up the dishwasher, cleared some dishes from our kitchen isle and proceeded to one of the cabinet doors. While I filled the coffee filter my eyes wandered down to the clock: 5.10am!
What is going on here?  Is this boy mad? What is he doing up so early?

   "I need to study", was his answer.

Of course he does- at 5.10 in the morning with a tummy full of freshly made scrambled eggs and choco pops!  The Japanese Education Department did a great job;  they installed a real sense of pride for learning into this young boy! At 5.10 am in the morning he is reading his school books!
 Let me get out of here and back into my bed!


What are my real kids doing at this moment? - I will bet my cereal boxes they are sound asleep in their beds!
 I don't even know if they study - they must study somewhere, some how, their report cards are very decent indeed!
What a delightful, studious young boy Gangyu is.  He  possesses a zest for his new life with us and is impressed by even the smallest things his host mother does. For example:

Currently I am getting ready to take another item of my self assigned 'no more excuses-list":
 I am about to sing karaoke! And not just at any odd karaoke bar. One of our Ridge neighbours suggested to join the happy people at Vancouver's most prestigious gay club.

 Watch out gentlemen, your "Dancing Queen"  is on her way to sing herself into your hearts. 

Currently I am practicing my version of  "I am What I am" to get me in the mood.
Please picture the following: It's a warm, sunny late summer afternoon, the windows are wide open, the woman of the house singing from the bottom of her heart, wrong tune, made up words, loud enough for all the neighbours to enjoy!

How do your kids react to your singing?
 My kids pleasantly ignore me, shut their ears close or leave the room. Gangyu? He interrupts his table tennis match, runs up from our men den and wants to know: "Christina, why are you so happy?"

Told you, he is different!

No comments:

Post a Comment