Thursday 27 December 2012

An ACT of MADNESS

2012-12-26 05.17.19When I first heard about this tradition I was shocked! Then I shook my head in disbelief: "You guys can't be serious! You will actually go shopping on Boxing Day? Good Lord, this is too crazy for me!"
My second thoughts were somewhat different: "Why not? I should go too, just for the experience."
At least I will have my opinion (i.e. bitching about it) based on real life experience. There will always be a next year to go back to the tried and tested German tradition of drinking, eating and be merry!

The story goes, various shops will offer their first 50 or so customers a gift or at least discount vouchers. These words worked magic on our boys and three out of the four decided to join me on this unholy event.

Oh what a joy to get up at 4am, to arrive at the mall by 5am, to stand in line - outside in the cold- for an hour and finally walk through the doors into the holy grail of electronic stores!

All this for what? Personally, I don't care about and need any more electronic devices in my life (I am happy I know how to operate the ones which already live with me)! Electronics are my least favourable item to shop for - and no, they NEVER promissed gifts either, only unbeatable prices on flat screen TV's.

I did it for our middle son! He had his mind firmly set on 'beats' headphones. But fortunately he came to his senses when he saw the discounted price of $ 250.00 was still not discounted enough.

In the time span of three hours we lost each other at least five times, we got pushed around and stood in line for hours to pay for our bargains. The boys were so hyped they needed a greasy McBreakfast to concentrate on their next purchases again.

Shopping on a budget offers a real insight into the future spending habits of children:
- Our teenager knows what makes the world go round and what stimulates any economy. He would pass any Immigration spending requirements in a heart beat ( he spent it all!).
- Our Korean exchange student displayed a magnificent talent for bargain hunting. He found the best possible deals for his desired objests and brought back over half his money.
- Our middle son doesn't have the insight knowledge of his teenage brother yet, nor does he have the patience and mastermind of his foreign 'brother'. He is a simple soul with a one track mind: It has to be 'beats'or nothing. He will only rest when he finds the right set at the right price. Needless to say, he didn'r buy anything!

And I? In the name of experience I sacrificed my much needed beauty sleep and ruined most of my waking hours to accumulate savings of $30.00 for these two beauties:

2012-12-27 15.53.59

It is not extra-ordinary to have our own traditions in life - what is extra-ordinary is to stick to these traditions regardless of the country you find yourself in.
Believe me, sometimes it is ok NOT to go with the flow. Next year on Boxing Day I will be back to eating, drinking and reading a Jackie Collins book while slouching on the sofa!

No comments:

Post a Comment